Preschool Float Teacher
Dodge Nature Preschool 1715 Charlton Ave.
West Saint Paul, MN 55118 651-455-4555
Full-time (36.25 hours) Non-Exempt Summer Opening
Monday-Thursday 8:00-4:30PM, Friday 8-12:15PM; requires occasional evening hours Runs from June 19th, 2023-August 11th, 2023
Dodge Nature Preschool seeks a Float Teacher to be part of our summer teaching team in fulfilling the school’s mission of meeting children’s developmental needs while initiating them into a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world.
Dodge Nature Preschool welcomes all families and values diversity in the broadest sense including ethnicity, ability, gender identity, gender expression, family structure, sexual orientation, socioeconomic circumstances and religion. Our school seeks to promote equitable access to nature-based early childhood education for all communities, especially those for whom access has been denied historically. We acknowledge our responsibility to work to challenge bias and prejudice and listen to the voices of our community.
Dodge Nature Preschool follows an emergent curriculum with a social-constructivist approach. Dodge Nature Preschool operates as part of the Dodge Nature Center; grounds include woodlands, prairie, ponds, wetlands, and a model farm with animals, gardening program, a greenhouse, apple orchard, maple syrup making facility, and apiary. A state-of-the-art preschool building with three outdoor/indoor classrooms provide early childhood nature education throughout the seasons. Class size is 18 three, four and five year olds with 3 teachers.
$16.50/hour-$18.50/hour. Varies with education and experience.
- Assume role of assistant or lead teacher in the absence of an assistant or lead teacher.
- Assist in the implementation of curriculum based on current best practices in early childhood education (Constructivist approach, inquiry-based learning, Reggio Emilia approach)
- Supervise children in work and play in classroom, playground, and nature center grounds.
- Adhere to the code of Ethics of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- Facilitate small group activities and lead whole group experiences such as reading a story.
- Interact with children to encourage positive self-concept and enthusiasm for the discovery process and ask open-ended questions;
- Keep expectations of children developmentally and individually appropriate and handle discipline issues as opportunities for learning rather than punishment for misdeeds.
- Prepare and care for the classroom and playground including snack set-up and cleaning up kitchen area after each session, light gardening and other maintenance tasks required throughout the seasons
- Support administrative staff with projects as assigned
- Develop and maintain appropriate working relationship with other staff members and parents.
- Play an active role in the operation of the preschool through attending team meetings, all staff meetings, and in-service training days.
- Take part in professional development opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifies as an assistant teacher per MN Rule 3; Associate degree or higher in child development, early childhood education, or related field preferred, but will consider applicants with a bachelor’s degree in any field and (1) 12 units in Child Development or Early Childhood Education or (2) a CDA Credential or (3) at least two years’ experience teaching in an early childhood education setting.
Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a child-centered, developmentally appropriate preschool or similar setting
Coursework or commitment to learning about appropriate early childhood nature education practices
Sensitivity to children’s learning styles and ability to communicate clearly.
Ability to supervise children in an outdoor setting
Ability to develop collaborative team relationships and problem solve.
Ability to use technology to support documentation of children’s work.
Physical activities and requirements of this position:
This position requires active participation with children up to 6 hours per day in the classroom, playground, and throughout the Nature Center.
Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds to waist level.
Please send cover letter and resume on or before February 27th to:
Amy Warzybok, Preschool Director
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers 651-789-5275