Home * Join Us * Donate * Resources
Part-time, Term position*: Monday-Thursday 12:30-4:30PM, June 21-August 13, 2021
*Possibility to extend into school year program
Full-time hours needed for in-service training June 21-25, 2021
Dodge Nature Preschool seeks a Lead Teacher to be part of the teaching team in fulfilling the school’s mission of meeting children’s developmental needs while initiating them into a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world.
Dodge Nature Preschool welcomes all families and values diversity in the broadest sense including ethnicity, ability, gender identity, gender expression, family structure, sexual orientation, socioeconomic circumstances and religion. Our school seeks to promote equitable access to nature-based early childhood education for all communities, especially those for whom access has been denied historically. We acknowledge our responsibility to work to challenge bias and prejudice and listen to the voices of our community.
Dodge Nature Preschool follows an emergent curriculum with a social-constructivist approach. Dodge Nature Preschool operates as part of the Dodge Nature Center; grounds include woodlands, prairie, ponds, wetlands, and a model farm with animals, gardening program, a greenhouse, apple orchard, maple syrup making facility, and apiary. A state-of-the-art preschool building provides education in three classrooms. The spacious classrooms include kitchens, teacher offices, plumbed water tables, plants and animals, and many windows offering views of the Nature Center grounds. Doors from the classrooms lead to a large playground that has exits to Nature Center trails. Class size is 18 three, four and five year olds with 3 teachers.
Starting at $18.00/hour. Varies with education and experience.
1. Implement curriculum based on current best practices in early childhood education. (Constructivist approach, inquiry-based learning, Reggio Emilia approach)
2. Maintain an attractive, functional, appropriate learning environment.
3. Develop and deliver programming including long-range planning and well-prepared daily activities with special attention to nature education.
4. Track the development of individual children, assess needs, and plan based on those needs.
5. Maintain relationships with parents.
6. Supervise educational assistants, interns, and other members of the classroom teaching team.
7. Work with Dodge Nature Center Naturalists to provide activities for the preschool children on Dodge Nature Center grounds.
8. Play an active role in the operation of the preschool through weekly planning and training meetings, events and in-service training.
9. Take part in professional development opportunities locally, statewide and nationally as appropriate.
10. Adhere to the code of Ethics of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
Qualifies as teacher as per MN Rule 3; BA in ECE or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
· Extensive knowledge and experience in early childhood education, including a college degree in ECE, Child Development or a related field.
· Experience teaching preschool in a child-centered, developmentally appropriate program.
· Experience in a NAEYC accredited program or commitment to working towards achieving accreditation.
· Experience or education in environmental education or commitment to learning about appropriate early childhood nature education.
· Experience working with the Reggio Emilia approach or familiarity of this approach desirable.
· Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred
· Sensitivity to children’s learning styles and ability to communicate clearly with parents.
· Ability to develop collaborative team relationships and problem solve.
· Ability to appropriately supervise assistant teachers, and interns.
· Ability to use technology to support documentation of children’s work.
· Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends for in-service training and events.
Physical activities and requirements of this position:
· This position requires active participation with children up to 6 hours per day in the classroom, playground, and throughout the Nature Center.
· Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds to waist level.
Please send cover letter and resume by April 9th, 2021 to:
Amy Warzybok, Preschool Director
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers
Educational Project of Reggio-Emilia
All content and articles may be used for educational purposes with proper citation (Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License).
Reggio-Inspired Network of Minnesota is a 501(c)3 non-profit located at 525 Pelham Blvd. N., Saint Paul, MN 55104